Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Diagnosed: The Back Story of PCOS


I recently found out I have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. PCOS is a common hormonal endocrine disorder in females. It is also known as the "Silent Killer" because there is not one test to diagnose it. PCOS can lead to more health risks such as diabetes type 2, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, insulin resistance, and heart problems. Because of this hormonal imbalance, women have multiple symptoms including weight gain, with a harder time losing it, infertility, irregular periods, sleep apnea, depression and many more.
 
As a recently diagnosed PCOS individual I would like to share tips and habits that help me overcome what I have and live a healthier lifestyle. Knowing what I have completely through me in a loop. However, it woke me up and I am trying my hardest to change how I eat and live so that I can enjoy life with my husband and hopefully someday a family.
 
Along with the ups, there will certainly be downs. In this blog I hope to show you that I am just a regular human being. I will struggle with making sure I get my exercise in. I will still crave the fast food and snacks that I know I cannot have. I would love the encouragement, constructive criticism and ideas from you, the readers.

Please feel free to find out more about PCOS via this blog, or through the internet! You only live once. I know that it is never too late to change.

For more information about Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome and support, here are a few of the many websites that I found quite helpful:

http://www.pcosfoundation.org/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001408/

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/polycystic-ovary-syndrome/DS00423

http://www.pcosupport.org/

http://www.pcoschallenge.com/

http://www.soulcysters.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment